History2018-09-07T11:50:54+00:00

History

In 1950, Laura Boothe shared a vision she had for an “orphans’ home” with the Rev. Jess Lunsford. By 1952, using Laura’s land and Jess’ leadership, God had birthed a ministry in rural Bee County – a ministry that would become home to thousands of children in the many years to follow.

From the time of its creation, the leadership of STCH Ministries (originally South Texas Children’s Home) decided to accept no government funding and incur no debt. Cottages were constructed for the children that came from throughout South Texas to find a home full of love and compassion.

Under the leadership of Dr. A. J. “Jack” Green, Jr., the second CEO, Homes for Children flourished, as did the children under its care. A second campus was opened in Goliad and later a Family Counseling ministry began in Corpus Christi to help preserve, restore, and strengthen families. Now twenty years later, more Family Counseling offices have opened in Houston, San Antonio, Victoria, and throughout South Texas.

Many other vital ministries have also launched. These include:

  • Homes for Families for single moms and their children on the Goliad campus,
  • International reaching children and families through international missions,
  • Faith & Work providing job preparation skills in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Houston,
  • Faith & Finances teaching biblical principles for managing money,
  • Pastor Care strengthening and replenishing pastors and their families,
  • Family Support connecting needs of families with resources at STCH Ministries or in their community,
  • Ministry Consulting allowing us to share our expertise and resources to help other ministries operate more effectively.

Many children and families are continuing to be touched by the love of God shown to them by devoted staff, houseparents, caseworkers, counselors, sponsors, and the many others who have joined with STCH Ministries to make a difference in the lives of others.

Click for history booklet PDF.

In 2008, South Texas Children’s Home added the word “Ministries” to its name to reflect the growth of the organization and the ministries it now provides in addition to the Homes for Children ministry. Two other corporate branches were formed in 2008 as well – a financial branch, which retained the original name of South Texas Children’s Home; and South Texas Children’s Home Land Management, which manages the organization’s facilities and land.

Today, under the leadership of President and CEO Eron Green, STCH Ministries stands ready to continue its legacy of love and quality care by striving to meet the needs of families in creative and innovative ways.